This is the track listing for Micodin and my new CD “Serious Problems”. I wanted to give a quick overview of the 11 tracks we created. No fillers or features on this one!!
1. Firefly On The Roof (Space Tooth) - The album starts off with a cinematic soundscape that leads into a dope drum loop. The title refers to my space tooth flow and that we are just fireflies in a merciless world of deception. I start the verse off by saying, “I need laser vision, Born blind site” referring both to being blinded by society and media as well as my poor vision. We’re all just fireflies on the roof…
2. They Buggin’ - This is definitely on that 90’s vibe. Yo you buggin’ if you think you’re on top, etc. A Lord Jamar sample sets off the song and I go in on basically a “how dare you think you can do this” attitude. It has all the elements of what Micodin and I consider “classic material”. Ha ha, Yo they buggin’ yo yo they buggin!!!
3. Skillset- For Skillset I wanted to let my fans know we have all the tools and knowledge to do this proper. On that New York spit. The type of feeling you get when the crowd knows the lyrics. I come with that basic brag formula over another bad ass drum track provided by Micodin. You can’t chill yet until you peep my skillset…
4. Mike on the Mic- This is a battle record. Micodin delivered the raw drums and a throwback Mike Tyson sample.I heard it and was like Hell yes!! I felt like I was stepping into the ring on this joint. I wanted it to seem like a swan song too. Like my final bout with the rap game. I’m going out swinging…
5. Checkmate- No album is complete without a story track. On this one I pen a tail of a man in need of loot. He links up with his homie who has an out of town drug connect to help make the fast bucks. Of course things don’t always end as planned. I wanted to channel my inner Biggie Smalls on this joint!! Checkmate sucker nada move games over….
6. Lucifer- Continuing with our side A/Side B format we went with on “Let The Sleepers Sleep”, Lucifer is the Side B intro. Just a rugged 32 bar verse to send you into the final tracks of “S.P”!
7. Ghostwriters- We all know that a lot of our favorite rappers at times use “ghost writers” to pen their verses. I wanted to make this song to kind of “call out” the sucker emcees and also touch on how unfortunately it’s just a part of some of the most classic records. For example, Ice Cube penned many of the verses Dr.Dre rapped on the seminal N.W.A classics, etc.. & Diddy never had to write a rap (He writes checks). A Nas sample leads off the cut and gives the song its title and topic on this one.
8. Got em all screaming- A song about struggles and life obstacles. You just want to scream at the top of your lungs when things aren’t going your way. Or when you lose a loved one or even a home to foreclosure. Life isn’t always easy. But. We make it through the tough times and prevail. We got em all screaming!! It’s built on another crazy drum track.
9. Laser Tag Gun Fighter- Our fellow Craftsmen homie Kent Green remixed Micodin’s original beat and we wanted to use it for the record. This remix is bangin’. A laser sound is blasting over the drums and a futuristic sound provides the backdrop. I feel like this is kind of a weirdo rap song. It’s also a bit of a battle rap record. Just the good old fashioned braggadocio while packing a laser gun to blast wack emcees!!
10. Around the time- On this track 3 verse are set “Around the Time” that some of my favorite hip hop records were released. Another story type rap reminiscing about hip hop memories good and bad. It also has that 90s classic feel. We wanted this record to be a reminder of why we do this.
11. Serious Problems- For the outro and the title of the album I wanted to go hard as hell! Leave the listeners wanting more from the JKE crew. “S.P” is another joint with a raw drum break. I feel Micodin really brought his A game production on this album. “Serious Problems” is some of our best work and details our progression and that we are only getting better and tighter. I’m very pleased with this album. From the sample chops to the boom bap we got it all!!! I can’t wait until April to share these cuts with my fans and the world!!! Peace, Dynamo-P